Monday, October 20, 2008

What's For Dinner Mom?

Yesteray, Madeline and I made homemade Chicken Noodle soup, with my mom's egg noodle recipe. YUM!!! It was so delicious. I used half the noodles for the soup, and froze the other half for another day. I'll attach my recipe for the soup and for the noodles... and just to give it a kick, I finish off my bowl with nice tablespoon of cream! ;)
Cheers,
jewels

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket


Recipe:

1 tablespoon butter
1 tablespoon olive oil
2-3 cloves minced garlic
1 medium onion
3-4 celery stalks chopped
3 carrots chopped
2 medium skinless/boneless chicken breasts thawed, or cooked and shredded
64 oz chicken stock (or broth)
Dash of red pepper flakes
Dash of oregano (or parsley)
Salt and Pepper to taste
Egg Noodles (recipe to follow)

Optional garnishes:
More red pepper flakes
Green Onion
Chives
Cream

Saute garlic in the olive oil and butter, add onions and saute until soft. Add Celery and carrots, and saute for a few minutes longer. Add chicken breasts, whole if not cooked, and chicken stalk along with seasonings. Let simmer until breasts are cooked through. Remove the breasts and shred with forks, and return to soup. Bring to a boil and add half or more of the noodles to the soup---however many you want. Reduce heat, and simmer at least 45 minutes (or until noodles are tender throughout).

Dish into bowls, garnish with whatever! And enjoy with some warm yeast rolls!

Mom's egg noodles:

2 1/2 cups flour
2-3 eggs (I like to mix mine first)
1-2 half eggshells of milk
dash of salt (and pepper if you want)

Sift four and spices, make a well inside the flour to hold the eggs and milk, pour eggs (either whole or beaten) into the well. Add 1/2 an eggshell of milk, and mix. It may need more moisture, mine did today, so add another 1/2 shell of milk if needed. Dough should be sticky enough to roll into a ball, but not so much that it cannot be rolled out. Roll the dough into a ball and let sit for 1/2 an hour. Dust the rolling area with a generous amount of flour and roll the dough to 1/8 in thick. Cut your noodles with cookie cutters, or a pizza cutter. I like to let mine dry for a while before adding them to the soup, but you could very well stick them in boiling water right away. They also freeze very well!

Enjoy

5 comments:

Jess said...

This sounds heavenly!!! I was just thinking about how homemade chicken and noodles sounds SO GOOD today... :)

Val said...

Mmmmmmm looks so yummy!! I got everything to make tortellini soup this week. I'll have to try the homemade noodles too, though!

Cari said...

Oh that looks so good! Love the photos to go with it too!
Cari

Jo said...

Oh that looks yummy! I will have to try that recipe! I love how Madeline is perched on the counter top - are you just loving your new home?!

MsBunn.com said...

OMG, that soup is making me so hungry now, especially that I'm sick! :(